When is the two-week program?
The Lux Summer Theological Institute at Monmouth College has been postponed until the summer of 2021.
What is the cost of the two-week program?
Thanks to a generous grant from the Lilly Endowment, the two-week program is $300 for accepted students, including housing and meals. Students are responsible for their travel to the program. A free shuttle is provided from Chicago O’Hare and Midway airports.
What are the application requirements?
Rising sophomores through graduated seniors are given priority consideration. This means that students should have completed their first year of high school by the time of the Institute for which they are applying. Some exceptional eighth grade students (those students entering ninth grade the fall following the Institute) have been accepted into the program, and they are welcome to apply.
When can I apply to the Lux Institute at Monmouth College and when is the deadline?
Online applications are made available in early fall and accepted through February 1. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, so earlier applications are given priority consideration. Any applications received after February 1, 2020 will be placed on a waiting list and considered if a spot becomes available.
How can I apply to the Lux Institute at Monmouth College?
Applications are available online. Visit the Application tab to get started.
What is needed in order to complete my application?
Applicants must complete the online application, and provide contact information for the pastor providing your recommendation. Students will also be required to submit a student profile, Health Form and Code of Conduct Form if they are accepted into the program.
Who should provide my recommendation?
As part of the application process, you are asked to provide contact information for a pastor, church educator, youth director, or other church leader who can provide a letter of recommendation for you. An academic reference from a teacher or mentor may also be submitted as an alternative in exceptional circumstances. Once your application is submitted, we will contact the person you have listed. Please let the person know to expect an email from us.
When and how will I be notified if I have been accepted?
Applicants will be notified via the email address they provide about their application status. While we review applications on a rolling basis, applicants may not be notified of their official acceptance until shortly following the application deadline.
What is the cancellation policy?
Because we have a waiting list of students excited to attend the Lux Institute, we ask that students contact us immediately if they are unable to attend. Accepted students must confirm their spot in the program by completing their student profiles, required forms, and the $300 program fee received before the deadlines noted in their acceptance email.
Where will I be staying while on the Monmouth College campus?
Lux Institute students will be housed in Peterson Hall, an air-conditioned residence hall in a suite-style layout. Unless special accommodations are requested, students may have a roommate or bathroom shared by another student in the suite.
Can I request a roommate?
Lux students are encouraged to step outside their comfort zone and room with someone they may not know. Please contact the director with any housing concerns.
What should I pack?
- Cool and comfortable clothing (T-shirts, shorts, light weight pants/shorts)
- Comfortable, sturdy footwear for longer-distance walking and outdoor work; Flip-flops are not recommended for extensive walking.
- Socks and undergarments
- One nice outfit for a visit to an interfaith place of worship. Longer dresses, skirts, pants, and a long-sleeve shirt or light sweater are appropriate.
- Jacket, sweater or sweatshirt for air-conditioned locations
- Swimming suit and towel
- Sleeping attire
- Jeans or long pants and a shirt you don’t mind getting messy and close-toed shoes (for outdoor work)
- Laundry bag
- Pillow, pillowcase, and blanket (These are provided, along with extra long twin sheets, but bring your own if they will help you sleep better)
- Washcloth (one towel is provided for each student)
- Toiletries (soap, deodorant, hair care, toothbrush/toothpaste, personal hygiene products)
- Prescriptions, medications and health supplements/vitamins in their original containers (Pack an extra day or two of prescribed medications if travel issues are a concern)
- Sunscreen/insect repellent
- Umbrella or rain jacket
- Personal cell phone and charger
- Alarm clock (or cell phone with an alarm)
- Bible (or Bible app on your phone)
- Backpack, messenger bag, or tote bag for carrying items to class and off-campus excursions
- Flight itinerary and record locator (if you are flying)
- I.D. Card (if needed for flying)
- Medical insurance card (photocopy is fine)
- Quarters for laundry (two loads will be provided for each student, additional loads are $3.00 for wash and dry; laundry detergent is provided)
- Money for the campus bookstore or extra free time outings, if desired (no more than $40)
Should I bring a computer?
Students will have access to the library resources which include using the campus computers. We recommend you leave personal computers at home as we are not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged items.
Can I bring my car?
You may drive your car to campus and park in the campus parking lot. However, once parked, the car will be registered and the keys will be held by Lux Institute staff until the completion of the program. All transportation while in the program will be provided at no cost to students.
Should I have any concerns about safety?
No. The Monmouth College Campus Safety Officers are professionally trained officers, on campus 24 hours a day, and work hard to make the Monmouth College environment safe to live, learn and work. Contact information for Campus Safety is included in student welcome packets.
Who can I call with additional questions?
Contact the Lux Summer Theological Institute Director, Rev. Jessica Hawkinson by email at email@example.com or by phone at 309-457-2447.